Afghanistan Visa Information:
1: Types of Visa
Tourist visa is issued for foreign nationals who are interested to travel to Afghanistan individually or with a group for the purpose of visiting Afghanistan or their relatives .
This type of visa is issued by the Afghan Missions aboard. The validity of this type of visa is for one month, which can be extend only once by the Ministry of Interior with the agreement of the Afghan Tourism Organization.
Entry Visa for Work Permit
Entry visa for work permit is issued for business, economic, commercial, cultural, industrial purposes and working for the governmental or non governmental organizations, This type pf visa can be obtained from the Consulate Section of the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Your employer or sponsor should contact the concerned department of Ministry of Foreign Affairs directly. However, this type of visa can be extended through the Ministry of Interior.
This type of visa is issued by the Ministry of Interior to the foreign nationals holding ordinary passport, which has already entered Afghanistan with a proper visa. The validity of this type of visa is from one month to six months and can be extended.
This type of visa is issued by the Afghan Missions aboard to those foreign nationals who pass through Afghanistan to a third country. The validity of this type of visa is for 72 hours for air passengers’ and six days for those who travel by land.
Double Entry Visa
This type of visa is issued to the foreign nationals who has stay visa and the validity of the visa can be extended.
This visa is issued for holders of diplomatic passports who intend to travel to Afghanistan. Diplomatic passport holder can obtain this type of visa from the Afghan Missions aboard. However, they must contact the ‘Section of Diplomatic passport and Diplomatic Visa’ of the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs directly through their mission in Kabul.
This type of visa is issued by the Afghan Missions abroad to the foreign nationals who hold service or special passports.
This type of visa is issued by the Afghan Missions aboard to the foreign students who intend to study in Afghanistan. The relevant university/academic institution must contact the ‘Cultural Relations Department of the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ directly.
This type of visa is issued to the foreign nationals who have entered the country with entry work permit visa. The validity of this type of visa is one to six days; in some circumstances this can be extended.
All Afghans with Duel Citizenship required to obtain a Visa Exception letter from the Afghan Embassies or Consulates abroad.
2: Guidelines for Visa Application
Visitors must hold:
- One completed visa application form
- Two recent passport size photo (size ¾ cm)
- Valid Passport, for at least 6 months
- A letter of introduction from your employer/sponsor stating the purpose and duration of your trip
- Visa processing fee (usually payable in local currency)
- Possibly a short interview
|Visa Application Form
|Visa Application Form
Most of our overseas missions have their own websites where you can find out more about visa section opening time, documents required, waiting time, etc. Their regulations may vary depending on the type of visa you would like to apply for. Therefore, please first check with your local Afghan embassy or consulate.
3: Important Information and Regulations
Click here for Afghanistan visa infomation
- We strongly recommend all visitors to extend their visa prior to expiry, if they wish to stay longer than the permitted duration. If the visa are not extended on the due date, the holder of the passport will be fined US$2 for each day during the first month of the delay, US$5 for each day during the second month of the delay (fined can be paid at ports). If the delay is more than two months, in addition to the fine, the holder will be deported.
- We strongly recommend foreign visitors to register with their embassy in Kabul, the local Afghan Police Department and the Afghan Tourist Organization (if the visit is for tourism purposes only) on arrival.
- During your stay in Afghanistan, we respectfully request our visitors to respect local culture and sensitivities.
- Photos and Cinematographic films can be taken after obtaining previous permission in writing from the Tourist Bureau, Press Department, located on the first floor of the Ministry of Information and Culture Building.
- Transportation of some rare birds out of the country is illegal. Therefore, visitors must contact the Afghan Tourist Bureau to obtain more information and relevant export certificate.
- Tourists may export duty free 30 sqm carpets, 10 skins excluding Karakul, cut and polished precious stones including Lapis Lazuli, handicrafts and a limited variety of antiques.
- Upon arrival, visitors are required to declare all foreign currency (If the amount exceeds 1million AFS or its equivalent value) that they carry. Please ask for ‘Ansari Application Form’ at the airport.