This visa is designed is for senior executive employees of major overseas businesses, who have significant net assets and a genuine and realistic commitment to participate in the management of a new or existing business. This visa is also the first step towards being granted a permanent Business Skills visa.
Persons who can apply:
Senior executives from overseas who through their experience have gained the skills to successfully manage a business in Australia, are less than 55 years old, and their family.
You must pay a non-refundable visa charge when you lodge your visa application.
See: Business Development Visa Charges
What does the visa let me do?
With this visa you can:
- establish a new or existing business in Australia
- travel in and out of Australia any number of times as long as the visa is valid
- have your family accompany you to Australia. They will have access to work and study rights. Your family includes your spouse and any dependants.
Visa validity period:
This visa is valid for four years.
If the visa is granted while you are:
- in Australia (Student visa holders only), it is valid from the date of grant
- outside Australia, it is valid from the entry expiry date on your visa label.
These pages provide information about the requirements that must be met to support a visa application.
As a Senior Executive (Provisional) visa holder you are expected to provide valuable input to the Australian economy. In that business you must actively participate in the day-to-day management of that business at a senior level, and continue to make genuine efforts to hold a substantial ownership interest at a senior level in the day-to-day management of such a business.
In that business you must also do at least one of the following:
You may be asked to complete a monitoring survey to provide us with information about your business activities in Australia.
- Develop business links with international markets
- Create or maintain employment in Australia
- Export Australian goods
- Produce goods or services that would otherwise be imported
- Introduce new or improved technology
- Add to commercial activity and competitiveness within sectors of the Australian economy
- You must not marry before you enter Australia
- You must enter Australia before anyone else included in your visa application
Note: This means your family members cannot enter Australia before you.
Change in circumstances
If your circumstances change, you must inform the department (in writing) as soon as possible.
See: Form 1022 Notification of Changes in Circumstances (318KB PDF file)