Tier 1 General Visa

Tier 1 General Visa

Tier 1 – General Visa of United Kingdom

1. Overview of Tier 1 | General Visa       

You can Apply Tier 1 (General) visa if you are,

  • Writer, composer or artist
  • Self-employed lawyer
  • Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP)

Note: You can’t apply for a Tier 1 (General) category visa if you’re outside the UK, and you usually can’t switch to it from other immigration categories. From 6 April 2015 it will be closed to applicants who want to extend their visa.

2. Eligibility for Tier 1 | General Visa

You must have permission to stay  in the following immigration categories to apply to extend your stay in the UK under Tier 1 (General):

  • Tier 1 (General)
  • Writer, composer or artist
  • Self-employed lawyer
  • Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP)

You must also:

  • Meet English language requirements.
  • Be able to support yourself during your Stay.
  • Show that you’ve had £945 in your bank account for 90 Days.
  • Score 95 or 100 points, depending on the category you were last Granted Leave.

3. English Familiarity for Tier 1 | General Visa

You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.You can prove your knowledge of English by either:

  • Passing an approved English language test with at least a Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) level C1 in reading, writing, speaking and listening
  • Having an Academic Qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by the UK National Recognition Information Centre (UK NARIC) as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree

ExceptionsYou won’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re a national of one of the following countries:

  • Antigua and Barbuda       
  • Dominica
  • NevisSt
  • Australia
  • Grenada
  • LuciaSt
  • Bahamas
  • Guyana
  • Vincent
  • Barbados
  • Jamaica
  • Grenadines
  • Belize
  • New Zealand
  • Tobago
  • Canada
  • St Kitts
  • USA

4. Documents Required for Tier 1 | General Visa

  • A Valid Passport
  • A passport size Colour Photograph
  • Proof that you meet the English language Requirement

Note: You will need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh. 

5. Fees for Tier 1 | General Visa

How much you pay for a Tier 1 (General) visa depends on your circumstances.

Category Applying by Post in the UK Applying in person in the UK Applying outside the UK
You £1,607 £2,007 Not available
Citizen of Croatia, Turkey or Macedonia £1,552 £1,952 Not available
All Dependents £1,607 £2,007 £874

6. How long you can stay on Tier 1 | General Visa

You can extend or switch to a Tier 1 (General) visa for 3 years. However in all cases you’ll be given enough leave to take the total leave granted in Tier 1 (General) to 5 years.You may be able to apply for settlement once you’ve been in the UK for 5 years. 

7. What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • You can Work in most jobs in the UK without a sponsor ? You can be Self-Employed ? You can bring Family Members with you

You can’t:

  • You Cant Get Public Funds
  • You Cant work as a professional Sports Person (Example a Sports Coach)
  • You cant work as a doctor in training (unless you have a primary degree at a bachelor’s level or above in medicine or dentistry from a UK recognized body or a licensed sponsor under the Tier 4 visa category)   

8. If you were part of the Highly Skilled Migrant Program

If you are covered by the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) Forum judicial review judgment, you should apply to extend your stay using the FLR Tier 1 (HSMP) application form instead. 

9. Processing Time for Tire 1 | General Visa

  • A decision will be made within 8 weeks for Postal Applications
  • A Decision will be made on the same day If you use the premium Service

You will be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, example:

  • If your supporting documents need to be verified.
  • If you need to attend an interview
  • Because of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction)

10. Family Members

Your family members must apply to join or remain with you in the UK if they’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.A ‘dependent’ is either:

  • Your Husband or Wife
  • Your Child under 18
  • Your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependent

11. Savings for Tier 1 | General Visa

You must show that your dependents can be supported while they are in the UK. Each dependant must have a certain amount of money available to them – this is in addition to the £945 you must have to support yourself.The amount depends on your circumstances. You must have £1,890 for each dependant if you’re applying from outside the UK or have been in the UK for less than 12 months. If you’ve been in the UK for more than 12 months, you must have £630 for each dependant.You must have proof you have the money, and that it’s been in your bank account or your dependant’s bank account for at least 90 days before you or they apply.Example You must have £4,725 if you want to bring your partner and 1 child with you to the UK – £945 to support yourself + £1,890 for your partner + £1,890 for your child. 

12. Dependents applying outside the UK

Your family members must Apply online.They will need to have their fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a Visa application centre as part of their application.   

13. Dependents Applying in the UK

Your dependents can apply to extend or switch their visas to stay with you if they’re already in the UK. They should apply using the dependant application form.It’s best to send your dependants’ applications at the same time as yours but they can apply at a later date by post, or in person at a premium service centre.A member of your family can’t apply in the UK as your dependant if they hold a visitor visa. 

14. Children Born while you are in the UK

If you have children while you are in the UK, you can apply for permission for them to stay.You must do this if you want to travel in and out of the UK with them.Complete the Application Form and send a full UK birth certificate for each child showing the names of both parents. 

8. Online Application

Note:1) You should apply before your current visa expires.2) From 6 April 2015 the Tier 1 (General) category will be closed to applicants who want to extend or switch to this visa.3. You must already be in the UK to apply.4. The Applicant can stay in UK once he has applied till the Decision. Click Here to Apply for Tier 1 | General VisaFor More Information Visit: https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-general/