Family Immigration Visa Guide

Family Immigration Visa Guide

Family Immigration Visa Guide

Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and some foreign nationals may sponsor immediate relatives or family members who desire to become a permanent resident of Canada (subject to meeting eligibility guidelines).

Family members eligible for sponsorship are:

  • Spouse

  • Common law/same sex partner (16 years of age or older)

  • Conjugal partner

  • Dependant children under the age of 22

  • Children over the age of 22 if they are *full time students, or if they are mentally or physically challenged

  • Children under the guardianship of the sponsor

  • Children adopted or to be adopted

  • Parent

  • Grandparent

If permanent resident status is granted, the sponsor must promise to support the family member for 3-10 years so that they can establish themselves in Canada. You must meet certain income requirement if you wish to sponsor any of the above listed relatives. If in the past you have sponsored a relative, and that relative is currently receiving government assistance, you may not be eligible to sponsor another person.

If the person who you are going to sponsor is outside of Canada, you must sponsor them before they enter the country. Your relative or family member must then apply for immigration. If the person you intend on sponsoring is already in Canada, they must be your spouse or common-law partner.

Your spouse or legal partner must:

  • Have valid, legal status in Canada as a visitor, student or temporary worker

  • Have lived with you for at least one year

  • Be living with you in Canada

  • Have a valid passport or travel document

  • Be 16 years of age or older

  • Be your spouse or common law partner for genuine reasons (not just for the purpose of receiving permanent residence in Canada)