Student Visit Visa

Student Visit Visa

UK Student Visitor Visa

Home Office has announced a new category of Student Visitor has been introduced for short-term students who wish to study in the UK. Temporary students are those who are studying on courses of 6 months duration or less.

Detail about this category:

  • The category allows for short term students to take on a short period of study during their visit to the UK;
  • The Student Visitor is required to meet the requirements of the rules relating to visitors;
  • In addition he/she will also have to demonstrate that he/she has been accepted on a course of study provided by an organization which is included on the Register of Education and Training Providers;
  • The maximum period of leave allowed in this category is six months;
  • There are no provisions for Student Visitors to extend their leave in the UK or switch in-country to any other category. If they wish to follow a further course of study they must return to their home country and obtain a student visa.
  • Any leave granted in this new category will be counted as a period spent as a visitor for the purposes of considering an in-country application for visitor leave.
  • Only those over the age of 18 may apply in this category

Eligibility for UK Student Visitor

The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a student visitor are that they:

  • genuinely be seeking entry as a student visitor for the limited period you tell Home Office you require that does not exceed six months;
  • have been accepted on a course of study that will be provided by an organization included on the Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills’ register of education and training providers;
  • leave the United Kingdom at the end of the visit you told Home Officeabout;
  • support and pay for accommodation for yourself and any dependants without help from public funds; or
  • ensure that you and your dependants will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends and not take employment; and
  • be able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey.

You Must Not

  • take employment in the United Kingdom;
  • engage in business, produce goods or provide services within the United Kingdom, including selling goods or services direct to members of the public;
  • study at a government-funded school;
  • be a child under the age of 18;
  • undertake part-time (up to 20 hours), or full-time vacation employment;
  • undertake a work placement or internship (paid or unpaid) as part of your course of study; or
  • extend your stay in the United Kingdom.

Switching to other category

With effect from 1 September 2007, the only categories of passenger that are able to switch into the student category are:

  • Existing students;
  • Prospective students;
  • Those here to do re-sits;
  • Sabbatical officers returning to their degree studies;
  • Those on the Science & Engineering Graduate Scheme (soon to be replaced
  • With the new International Graduates Scheme);
  • Those on the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland scheme;
  • Work permit holders

Apply for UK Student Visitor Visa

Since 1 September 2007 all nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area who wish to study in the United Kingdom need prior entry clearance (permission to come here) as a student. This does not apply if you wish to come here as a student visitor for a course of less than six months. Student visitors must meet the same entry clearance requirements as visitors. 

How Can I Extend My stay?

you will not be able to extend your stay in the United Kingdom as a student visitor. There are no provisions in the student visitor rules for extensions to be granted. You can only obtain leave (permission to enter the United Kingdom) as a student visitor by applying for a student visitor visa at a British diplomatic post abroad or by seeking leave from an immigration officer when you arrive in the United Kingdom. 

About Appeal

If Home Office refuse your application, the ECO (Entry Clearance Officer) will tell you and you will be given a detailed written refusal notice. This will tell you if and how you can appeal.