Skilled Sponsored Visa
Skilled Sponsored Visa
Australian Sponsored Visa:
This visa allows you to migrate to Australia if you have good English language skills and have skills and qualifications in an occupation in need in Australia. This visa uses a points test to select visa applicants with characteristics needed in the Australian labour market. You must be sponsored by an eligible relative living in Australia or obtain nomination from a participating State or Territory government agency.
Who is this visa for? This visa is for you if you:
• are under 45 years of age
• have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
The SOL is a list of skilled occupations that are in need in Australia. Each occupation listed on the SOL is allocated a points value for use in the visa assessment process. See: Form 1121i Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and Employer Nomination Scheme Occupation List (ENSOL) (129KB PDF file) This visa also requires that either:
• you, your spouse or your interdependent partner have an eligible relative living in Australia who is willing and able to sponsor you or
• you have a nomination from a participating State or Territory government agency.
Note: All State and Territory governments in Australia are participating in this visa scheme. How much does this visa cost? You must pay the relevant visa application charge when you lodge your visa application. See: Professionals and other Skilled Migrants What does this visa let me do? This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia. Australian permanent residents can:
• live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
• study in Australia at school or university
• receive subsidized healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
• access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
• be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
• sponsor people for permanent residence.
This is a permanent residence visa. As a permanent resident you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely. This visa also allows you to travel to and enter Australia for five (5) years from the date the visa is granted. The expiry of this visa does not affect your permanent resident status if you are in Australia. However, if you wish to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident after the initial visa has expired, you must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV). Your eligibility for an RRV will depend on the period that you have resided in Australia. See: Australian Permanent Residents
Sponsorship or nomination
To be eligible for this visa you must be either:
• nominated by a participating State or Territory government or
• sponsored by an eligible relative living in Australia. See: Eligibility
This visa has a points test designed to select visa applicants who have characteristics that will help them find a full time job in an occupation that matches their skills and is required in Australia. See: What is the points test?
General Skilled Migration definitions
The following terms are used for General Skilled Migration visas. See: General Skilled Migration definitions