Study Guide

Study Guide

Study Guide

Overview | Eligibility | Documents | Apply
1. Overview of Study Permit
If you want to study in Canada you need to have,
. Visit Visa
. Study Permit

2. Eligibility for Study Permit
To Get Study Permit of Canada You must,
. You must have been accepted by a learning institution in Canada.
. You must have Enough Money for your Entire Stay and Course Fee
. You must be a Law Abiding Citizen
. You must be in good health
. You must have Plan to Leave Canada

In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada.
1. If you wish to study in a short-term course or program
You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.
2. Foreign representatives to Canada
If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD), you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at DFATD to find out whether you need a study permit.
3. Members of foreign armed forces
If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.
4. Foreign nationals who are Registered Indians in Canada
If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.

3. Documents Required for Study Permit:
The Following Documents are required for Study Permit,
. Valid Passport if you require a temporary resident visa (TRV)
. 2 Recent passport-Size Coloured Photographs with your Name and Date of Birth written on back Side
. Standard Letter of acceptance from the School/College/University are have applied
. Bank Statement Showing that you have Enough Money to Pay Course Fee

Official Documents Check List.pdf

Note: In addition to these documents, you may have to provide other information when you apply for a study permit. Check the website of the visa office responsible for your country or region for local requirements.

4. Proof of Financial Support:
You can prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself in Canada by showing some of the following:
1. Proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada;
2. Proof of a student/education loan from a financial institution;
3. Your bank statements for the past four months;
4. A bank draft in convertible currency;
5. Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees;
6. A letter from the person or institution providing you with Money
7. Proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.

The following table shows the minimum amounts that you will need.
Number of persons All provinces except Quebec Quebec
Single student Tuition plus $10,000 for a 12-month period (or $833 per month) Tuition plus $11,000 for a 12-month period (or $917 per month)
+ one family member $4,000 for a 12-month period (or $333 per month) $5,100 more for a person 18 years of age or older for a 12-month period (or $425 per month)$3,800 more for a person under 18 years of age for a 12-month period (or $317 per month)
+ each additional family member $3,000 for a 12-month period per dependent child of any age (or $255 per month) $5,125 more for a person 18 years of age or older for a 12-month period (or $427 per month)$1,903 more for a person under 18 years of age for a 12-month period (or $159 per month)

Note: If there are foreign-exchange control measures in your country, you must provide proof that the exchange control authorities will allow you to export funds for all of your expenses.
5. Study Permit Benefits:
In some cases, you may wish to apply for a study permit even if you do not need one right away. There are benefits to having a study permit, even if you do not require one. If you have a valid study permit, you can:
1. Work part time on campus at the College/University at which you are registered as a full-time student
2. Apply to Renew your study permit from within Canada, if you decide to continue studying in Canada.

6. Renewal of Study Permit:
If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student, you must complete the Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada. Check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure you apply before that date. You should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires.
Note: Children who are less than 17 years of age and studying in Canada without a parent or legal guardian must complete and include the Custodianship declaration (IMM 5646) with their study permit application.
See the Instructions Guide (IMM 5552) for more information

7. If Your Application is Approved
If your application is approved, you will receive the following:
.A letter of Introduction.
.A Temporary resident visa (TRV)
1) The  Introduction letter is not your study permit. Bring the letter of introduction with you to show to immigration officials at the point of entry when you arrive in Canada.
2) . The TRV will be in your passport. The expiry date on this visa indicates the date by which you must enter Canada. You must enter Canada before your TRV expires. The TRV will also indicate if you can enter Canada only once (a single-entry visa) or if you can enter Canada multiple times (a multiple-entry visa).

8. If Your Application is Rejected
If your application is not approved, the visa office will send you a letter explaining why your application has been refused. An application might be refused for several reasons:
. You have not shown proof that you have enough money for your Entire Stay and Course Fee.
. You have not passed the medical examination if one was required.
. You have not satisfied the visa officer that your primary intention in Canada is to study.
. You have not satisfied the visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your period of study.

Note: If you have questions about your refusal, contact the visa office that issued the refusal letter.

5. Apply Now:

Next Page