Sweden Visa

Sweden Visa

Sweden Visa

Sweden Visa Information:

A visa is a permit which is required to enter and remain in Sweden and the other Schengen states (see below) for a short period of time, e.g. to visit relatives or friends, as a tourist, on business, to attend a conference or simply to pass through (transit).  

  A person who wishes to reside in Sweden, to be reunited with relatives for example, must apply for and be granted a residence permit before entering the country. The visa should be complete and be entered in the passport before entry into the Schengen area. The right to enter the Schengen area is examined every time you pass the outer border of the area. At the border control everyone who enters the area must be able to show that they have money for their keep during their visit and for their return journey home and that they have medical travel insurance and documents showing the purpose of their visit.

Who needs a visa?

Nationals in the majority of countries outside the EU require a visa to visit Sweden and the other Schengen countries. This is a decision reached by Sweden together with the other EU countries.

You can find a list of the countries whose nationals require a visa to visit Sweden by following the link in the right-hand column. Visitors who arrive from countries that are not on the list can enter Sweden and the other   Schengen countries and remain there without a visa for three months.

A visa is valid for the whole of the Schengen area

In Sweden it is the Schengen Agreement visa rules that apply. The Schengen Agreement means, among other things, that Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Austria, Norway and Iceland, have abolished border controls for persons travelling between these countries. A visa granted by any one of these countries is also valid for visits to the other countries. In exceptional cases the visa could be valid only for entry into the issuing country or only for certain countries if the holder’s passport is not approved by all the Schengen countries.

What is required to be granted a visa?

Particular requirements If  you wish to visit Sweden and the other    Schengen states you have to fulfil some requirements which are the same for all countries. In addition, there are requirements which vary from country to country. Each Swedish mission abroad (embassy or consulate) is an independent authority and together with the other Schengen states represented at the same place it can require additional documents and make other demands. The mission can for example require that the authenticity of the signature on certain documents is confirmed by at notary public.

These requirements may change depending on the existing circumstances. It is therefore important that you check which requirements you have to fulfil in order to be granted a visa. If you can, enter www.swedenabroad.com and browse to the mission you are going to visit. If you cannot do this, please contact the embassy or consulate in another way. Common requirements Everyone who wishes to visit Sweden and the other Schengen states will need a passport valid for at least three months after the final date stated in the visa. You must also have money for your keep and for the journey home. The Swedish authorities have estimated that a person needs €40 (approximately SEK 370) for each day spent in Sweden. This amount could in certain instances be lower, such as in the case of a young child, if the cost of food and accommodation is paid in advance or if the applicant intends to stay with relatives or friends. You can prove that you have sufficient money for your keep by, for example, producing an account statement from your bank or a document showing that the person inviting you to Sweden promises to cover all expenses during your visit. It is also necessary to have individual medical travel insurance which covers any costs that could arise in conjunction with

  • emergency medical assistance
  • emergency hospital care
  • transport to your home country for medical reasons.

The insurance should cover costs of at least €30,000 and be valid in all the Schengen countries.  The consideration of the application You will be granted a visa if the authority that makes the decision – a Swedish mission abroad or the Swedish Migration Board – considers that you will leave the Schengen area after your visit and that the purpose of your visit is the one you have stated in your application. If it is considered that you have other intentions with your visit or that your true intention is to reside in the Schengen area your application will be rejected. The same applies if you are registered in the computer system SIS (Schengen Information System), where the member countries register persons who are not permitted to enter the Schengen area. These rules apply in all countries that have ratified the Schengen Agreement.

Where should the application be handed in? 

You should hand in your visa application to a Swedish mission abroad. In certain countries Sweden is represented by another Schengen country. There are, however, countries where Sweden does not have a mission abroad and is not represented by another country. If that is the case and you wish to submit a visa application you must travel to the nearest country where there is a Swedish mission or where another country represents Sweden.

If you intend to hand in your application at another Schengen state’s mission abroad, you are advised to call the mission before you go there. In that case it is this country’s  documentary requirements that apply. Documents should also be translated into the language of that country..

Information that must be included in the application

To enable the authorities to process your application you must state clearly

  • why you are visiting Sweden
  • how long you intend to stay in Sweden
  • how you will support yourself during your time in Sweden
  • the type of passport you hold and how long it is valid
  • where you intend to travel following your visit to Sweden
  • if you have a permit to travel to the country you intend to travel to after your time in Sweden

You must also enclose two passport photographs, taken with you looking straight ahead and which are not older than six months. Apart from the application, all applicants must submit an Appendix D form (family appendix).

Visit to relatives and friends

If the purpose of your visit to the Schengen area is to visit relatives and friends, the reference person (the person you intend to visit) must fill in a special form – the referee appendix (invitation), Appendix E. The form is available in Swedish and English. You can order the form or download it in the same way as other forms, see under “Forms” above.

The reference person in Sweden should enclose his/her civic registration certificate (personbevis). This can be ordered from the nearest tax office or downloaded from the Swedish Tax Agency website www.skatteverket.se. There are civic registration certificates for different purposes, choose the one with the heading “Inbjudan” (invitation). The reference person should send the completed form – Appendix E – and his/her civic registration certificate to you so that you can hand it in together with your application. 

Business and conference visits

If you intend to travel to Sweden on business or to attend a conference you should submit an invitation – a letter – from the company or the person arranging the conference together with your application.

The invitation should contain information about you, such as:

  • your personal details
  • your reason for visiting Sweden
  • how long you will be in Sweden
  • who is responsible for your keep during the time you are in Sweden.

Visit for medical treatment

If the purpose of your trip to Sweden is to receive medical treatment you should fill in a special form, Appendix C, and enclose it with your application. You should also enclose a medical certifi-cate from Sweden indicating when you will receive your treatment and what this entails. You should also send a medical certificate from the country in which you reside which shows that you cannot receive treatment there. Finally, you must also be able to show that you have money de-posited in Sweden for the treatment as planned and for any possible aftercare.

Click here for Sweden Visa Information