Marriage Visitor Visa

The UK Marriage Visa allows you to get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within six months of your arrival.

Who needs to apply for a wedding visa?

Foreign nationals must apply for a wedding visitor visa to travel to the UK to marry or register a civil partnership, or to communicate their intention to do so. It is not necessary to apply for a marriage visa if:

  • You have settled or pre-settled status with the EU Settlement Scheme.
  • You have applied for the EU Settlement Scheme, but the decision is pending.
  • You are an Irish citizen.
  • You intend to remain or settle in the UK after getting married or registering a civil partnership.
  • You are entitled to British citizenship.

Who is eligible for a marriage visa?

You are eligible for a marriage visa if:

  • You are at least 18 years old.
  • You can register, get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival.
  • You have an authentic relationship.
  • You will be visiting the UK for less than 6 months.
  • You will leave the UK after your visit.
  • You will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or repeat visits or make the UK your principal home.
  • You are able to support yourself on your journey.
  • You can pay for the return or onward journey.
  • You have proof of any other business you wish to carry out in the UK.

How to apply for a wedding visa?

The procedure for applying for a marriage visa is as follows:

1.Start the online application process

The application process begins online on the official UK government website. The form can be saved and completed later once started. If you have saved your application, you can log in again. You can apply by following this link.

2.Book an appointment with the nearest Visa Application Center

In addition to the online application, you will need to book an appointment at the nearest visa application centre. Make sure to book an appointment months in advance because, depending on your country, the visa application center may be located in another country.

Collect the required documents

It is important to gather the required documents before attending your visa appointment because, depending on your circumstances, you will need to submit additional documents. The list of documents is as follows:

  • An application form, duly completed and signed.
  • Your current valid passport or any other travel document.
  • Proof that you intend to get married in the UK. You can send a booking confirmation or email between you and the venue.
  • Details of the marriage or civil partnership.
  • Proof that you have paid part of the wedding or civil partnership expenses.
  • Details of where you plan to stay in the UK.
  • Provide evidence of your future plans for the relationship, such as where you plan to live permanently.
  • • Proof of financial means. You must demonstrate that you can support yourself financially during your stay.
  • Proof that you can get married or form a civil partnership if you have done so before. You can provide a decree absolute or a death certificate of a previous partner.

Note: Depending on your situation, you may need to submit additional documents and translations of documents that are not in English or Welsh.

Attend your visa appointment

At your appointment, fingerprints will be taken and a photograph will be taken. You must also submit the required documents and the visa application center may retain your passport while processing your application.

5. Complete the fee payment

The application fee for a marriage visa is £95. You will receive refunds if your application is still being processed.

Wait for a decision

After submitting your documents, proving your identity and applying online, you usually receive a decision within 3 weeks. If the Home Office is busy processing applications, this time period may be extended.

How long can I stay in the UK on a marriage visa?

The validity of a marriage visa is six months in any twelve month period. You cannot apply for an extension or other visa during your stay in the UK. You must return to your home country after six months of stay.

When you return home, you can apply for the visa that best suits your situation, for example a UK spouse visa if you want to join your spouse in the UK permanently.

How much does a UK wedding visa cost?

A marriage visa costs £95. Refunds will only be available if your request has not been processed.

How long does it take to get a UK wedding visa?

You can usually get a decision on your application within 3 weeks of submitting your application online, proving your identity and submitting your documents. You can extend this time period to six or seven weeks, depending on how busy the Home Office is processing applications.

Can I bring dependents on a marriage visa to the UK?

No you can not. Other family members must apply for their own tourist visa to enter the UK.

In case both you and your partner need to apply for a marriage visa, your partner applies for their own visa and pays the fee. If your child needs a visa, he or she will need to apply as a standard visitor.

If your partner and child are unable to apply on their own, you can apply on their behalf. However, they must attend their visa appointment.

Is it possible to switch to a marriage visa?

It is not possible to switch to a marriage visa in the UK. You will need to return to your country to apply for a marriage visa.

What can and can’t you do with a wedding visa?

With a wedding visa you can:

  • Get married or enter into a civil partnership within six months in the UK at an approved venue.
  • Pass through the UK to another country.

With a marriage visa, you cannot:

  • Access public funds.
  • Bring in family members or dependents. They must apply for their visas separately.
  • You live in the UK for an extended period of time.
  • Extend your marriage visa or switch to a different one.
  • Work.
  • Study.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *